Friday, September 4, 2009

As my third day draws to a close

It's my third day here. The past two days I've spent aquainting myself with the city, mainly to prevent myself from ending up hopelessly lost when I try to get somewhere. I'm so proud of how organized I've been! I bought a map and spent a good few hours yesterday making a list of important addresses (the studio, grocery store, atm machines, banks, the market, etc.) and looking them up on google maps. I even wrote out the most important directions.
I was in a bit of a panic for awhile because I couldn't find any stores or banks that would cash travelers checks or an ATM machine that would take my visa card and debit. Finally after a bit of research I found a good bank that will cash my travelers checks and with a plus machine outside that takes both my cards. unfortunately, to withdraw larger amounts than my daily limit from my debit, I have to find an american bank, which I've had no luck with yet. But, at least I'm not panicking because I only have three euros in my pocket anymore!
We've been having communal dinners at night with our friends across the street and tonight was our turn. Julia and I made some pasta with a wicked tasting sauce. Fresh mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, onions, etc.
There's a little wine store a couple of blocks away that the other guys found. we went there today to get a little bottle of white table wine to go with our meal and the owner is very nice. he speaks pretty good english and he gave us lots of good tips about Florence and how to avoid the tourist treatment and find the real florence life (and prices).
Clothing in this area is very cool but a little pricey, even if it's on sale. I had to buy a little dress because I was sooo hot! I didn't bring cool enough clothes because I didn't expect it to be quite this humid and hot. I'm hoping to find the thrift stores tomorrow.
Guess what I also bought for one euro? a batman comic in italian! so awesome! There's this stand that sells all these old comics in italian and there were so many cool ones. what a great way to help me learn italian. I am actually getting better at it though. I've got a lot of the basic phrases down now. I can say I'm sorry, excuse me, hello, good morning, good night, thank you, your welcome, how much does this cost, where is..., and a couple other things. I know some words too, like plate, knife, fork, tomato, etc. And it's only my third day. pretty snazzy.
On Sunday we are planning on taking a trip to the beach in Piza. Tomorrow is Erin's birthday so hopefully we'll go out for dinner or something. We've decided to surprise her with flowers and breakfast when she wakes up.
I think that's about it. So far I'm just getting myself oriented and familiar with the neighborhood before I really start doing any site seeing, just so I feel comfortable for when school starts. Which is Tuesday! I'm pretty excided because I want to get back to work and I have so many ideas already.
ta ta.

No comments:

Post a Comment